Re: cons.saver not suid root

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:35:16PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
moin,

for some time now, cons.saver is not installed suid root any more,
making the whole thing sort of pointless.
the attached patch makes it useful for me.
comments?

cons.saver should not be setuid root, it should be setuid to whatever
user owns /dev/vcsa* devices.  Ideally there is a vcsa user that
just owns these devices and cons.saver.

BTW: in case Linux now I don' see cons.saver usage.

$ strace -o out mc; grep cons.saver out

with few times ctrl-o during strace show nothing (?).

Q: is in case Linux cons.saver is still neccessary ?

kloczek
*Ludzie nie mają problemów, tylko sobie sami je stwarzają*
Tomasz Kłoczko, sys adm @zie.pg.gda.pl|*e-mail: kloczek rudy mif pg gda pl*