Re: community managers

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Emily Gonyer <emilyyrose gmail com> wrote:
I think Dave's point was that we missed an opportunity to keep
Cinnamon as GNOME 3 - because at one point it was GNOME 3.x with
extensions piled on. They have since forked and are truly a separate

Well, the thing is that GNOME 3 is considered the design and look of GNOME 3.  It's the default package.  You could argue that GNOME 3 + extensions changing the look is not GNOME 3 from a branding issue.

Consider that Apple's look is very distinctive.  You can look at a computer running OSX and know it is running OSX.

In this case, Cinnamon is not GNOME 3 from that perspective.  Now, it si GNOME 3 in that uses the GNOME 3 platform but it's not what its designers consider GNOME 3.

Now I agree that it would be great to say Cinnamon is based on GNOME 3 as it shows what a flexible platform GNOME 3 is that it can be modified to be so distinctive.

project now, but that wasn't always the case. If we had made it clear
that they & their users were still using GNOME 3, we might have been
able to bring them into the larger GNOME tent and kept them from
forking and going their separate way. Just because someone is using
extensions doesn't mean they aren't using GNOME 3, any more than my
use of HTTPS Everywhere, AdBlock Plus, etc in Firefox & Chromium make
them different browsers.

We seem to be in a strange place where we are competing against our own software modified by others - Mate and Cinnamon both who have gotten marketshare.

sri

Emily

--
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius,
power and magic in it. -  Goethe

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr.Seuss

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that
counts can be counted. - Albert Einstein