Re: community managers

Hi Dave,

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 6:38 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
I think that as a project, we have had trouble communicating our vision, because as a project we are not sure what it is. There is a part of the project that has a very clear idea of their vision, but that vision has either not been clearly expressed, or what has been expressed has not got clear support from the community of contributors in the project. For instance, the insistence that theming will damage our brand, or that Cinnamon is not GNOME 3, has led to missed opportunities for the GNOME project, and has not got grass roots support among the GNOME community (and I'm not talking about users here, I'm talking about contributors - developers, translators, user group co-ordinators, and marketers).

Let's be clear then. Cinnamon is not GNOME 3. The discussion of brand was in relation to the stability of extensions and the impact on the user experience - and was taken out of context. Neither of these have led to missed opportunities. Continuing to misrepresent or misunderstand what we are trying to do and trying to say doesn't help us communicate our vision, does it?

Jon