Re: Any chance to move your MLs to Google Groups?

On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 17:27 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 15:41 +0300, alex diavatis wrote:
> > Gnome uses Twitter etc.
>
> I see a difference here: Gnome uses Twitter, but it does not *rely* on
> it, while mailing lists are a critical infrastructure part.
> Gnome could theoretically not use Twitter as there would be still
> Identi.ca (free and open), Google Plus and Facebook for spreading short
> messages.
>
> andre
> --

And Facebook is a perfect example of chaos in the hands of others.  I
don't know how it is for GNOME, but for other organizations, Facebook
has proven to be a headache because they change group and page
administration methods at will, and there is a proliferation of
independently-created groups and pages that support an organization
making it much harder to disseminate information.

At last year's Community Leadership Summit, many organizations
complained that it took at least an hour per day to disseminate
information on all the groups and pages on Facebook.  We have no control
over that and we are left at the mercy of an infrastructure that is not
ours to manage.

When Facebook supporters reaches into the thousands, it is very hard for
us to disseminate information directly to all individual supporters.

Bryen M Yunashko