Re: Urgent - 3.2 Press Release

Here's a new draft of the press release, with the new quote and revised to
hopefully address the comments from Andreas.

Any other comments?

Also, will someone volunteer to make sure this gets posted to all the
right places tomorrow?

thanks!
karen

GNOME3 Improved and Refined with the Release of GNOME 3.2

Groton, MA, September 28 2011: Today, the GNOME Desktop project released
GNOME 3.2, the first follow-up release to its ground-breaking GNOME 3.0.
With GNOME 3, GNOME undertook a major redesign and reimagined the user
interface for the next generation of the desktop. From 3.2, GNOME is
refining the project and starting to introduce new, modern GNOME
applications that will deeply integrate with the GNOME 3 experience and
which are designed for modern users.

GNOME 3.2 improves the sleek GNOME 3.0 by adding refinements to the visual
theme, fully integrated messaging, new contacts framework and integration,
improved document management, a new onscreen keyboard in addition to a
number of other improvements. It introduces the building blocks for new
application experiences and the basis for integration of online services.

As the GNOME release team explains, "the GNOME 3.2 release builds on the
foundations that we have laid with 3.0 and offers a much more complete
experience. From new applications for contacts and documents, a redesigned
login screen, as well as high-end features such as color management and
graphics tablets, it contains numerous new and exciting features and
improvements. We are proud of what the GNOME community is delivering in
this release, and we hope you like it. Give it a try!"

GNOME 3.2 is expected to be well received by users and its participant
companies alike. Jim Whitehurst, President and Chief Executive Officer of
Red Hat, stated "I am thrilled to see that the great innovation we saw in
GNOME 3.0 continues to mature at such a rapid rate with 3.2."

"I'd like to offer my congratulations to GNOME team for their 3.2
release," said Rick Spencer, Director of Engineering, Ubuntu, at
Canonical. "Coming on the heals of the groundbreaking 3.0 release, 3.2
continues to offer innovation and refinement. We're proud to have the
great work in GNOME 3.2 as one of the pillars of Ubuntu 11.10. Ubuntu
wouldn't be what it is today without GNOME."

Users and fans of GNOME have planned release parties in a number of
cities around the world. Users can find out more information about
GNOME 3.2 from http://gnome.org, or wait for distributions to carry it
over the coming months.

The GNOME Project was started in 1997 by two then-university students,
Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena Quintero. Their aim: to produce a free
(as in freedom) desktop environment. Since then, GNOME has grown into a
hugely successful enterprise. Used by millions of people across the world,
it is a popular desktop environment for GNU/Linux and UNIX-type operating
systems. The desktop has been utilised in successful, large-scale
enterprise and public deployments, and the project?s developer
technologies are utilized in a large number of popular mobile devices.

The GNOME Foundation is an organization committed to supporting the
advancement of GNOME, comprised of hundreds of volunteer developers and
industry-leading companies. The Foundation is a member directed, 501(c)(3)
non-profit organization that provides financial, organizational and legal
support to the GNOME project. The GNOME Foundation is supporting the
pursuit of software freedom through the innovative, accessible, and
beautiful user experience created by GNOME contributors around the world.
More information about GNOME and the GNOME Foundation can be found at
www.gnome.org and foundation.gnome.org. Become a Friend of GNOME at
http://www.gnome.org/friends/

For further comments and information, contact the GNOME press contact team
at gnome-press-contact gnome org.