Re: How to manage foundation navigation in gnome.org site

Good email, Andreas!

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 01:34 +0200, Nisse wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 06:45 PM, Yu Liansu wrote:
> >
> > andreasn_ 2011年06月27日 23时47分15秒 wrote on irc:
> >> so the two things I would like to see a good structure accomplish is:
> >> 1. Make all parts of the website feel less disconnected from each
> >> other, and 2. Clutter the main site with too much organizational
> >> structure about the project
> >> and those two are hard to fix at the same time
> > We can integrate foundation site into the main navigation, e.g. in
> > "About Us" add a new section.
> Out of the three options I think integrating the foundation site into
> the main site under About Us is the best.
> The reason for this is that the Foundation is just an implementation
> detail of the project if you think about it.
> For the actual navigation, I think a sidebar could work a lot better
> than a subnav just beneath the main navigation, as we want to be careful
> with making the header part to tall. If I recall correctly there is
> already a page template on gnome.org for this.
>
> For the actual menu, there is currently a lot of different items in the
> foundation navigation sidebar on http://foundation.gnome.org I think we
> can do some effort to reduce the number of pages there.

Yes, I agree. Some cleanup would be beneficial. Also, I totally agree
with the points below.

> * About the foundation - this duplicates some of the info on the other
> pages and can to some extent be merged with the first page
> * Blog - this could be considered as of our news story that Allan
> mentioned in his last e-mail
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2011-June/msg00044.html

If we do want to have news on the Foundation page, I would suggest
having a feed from the Foundation Blog rather than creating YANS (Yet
Another News Source).

> * Reports - not foundation specific, but actually more of a project-wide
> thing
> * Membership - pretty ok

These are mostly guidelines for people who want to become a member. It
might help if the page were labeled accordingly.

We might want also want to consider expanding the members list into a
more generic 'GNOME People' page. This is something I've been thinking
about recently. I've created some mockups to show what I mean [1, 2].

> * Election - Wiki material?
> * Legal - part of a bigger legal page perhaps?

Rewriting this page has been on my to do list for a while... one day, maybe. :)

> * Finance - Wow, this is really outdated.
> * Contact - merge into http://www.gnome.org/contact/ ?
> * Press - we already link to that elsewhere
> * Donate - same as above. We could actually promote that on the
> gnome.org frontpage. That gets a lot more views.

We also have this now - http://www.gnome.org/support-gnome/

Allan

[1]
https://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/blobs/raw/master/www/gnome.org/people/people.png