Re: Pre-release marketing and community management [Was: getting www.gnome3.org]

On 01/06/2011 08:00 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> I'm not really that worn down.  If you are, you're emotionally investing too
> much into it.

I haven't said much during this exchange, but this response surprised
me.  Developers getting worn down by the hate is a real thing.  It's so
not fair to say that developers who get worn down are too emotionally
invested or are otherwise doing it wrong.

We have this problem with Miro right now where we've got a tiny staff of
developers and no customer relations kind of person.  Thus developers
like me end up sifting through the hate.  We've been discussing this
problem on our mailing list and it's probably the case all the devs are
going to stop reading the forums.  This got sent out this morning and
really summed up the whole problem for us:

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2011/01/three-reasons-creators-should-never.html

This isn't anything new.  This is not a "developers who feel worn down
are deficient" problem.  This is a "there needs to be someone in
between" problem.

My question is one of ignorance: does the GNOME community have a team of
people who stand between the developers and the various forums?

/will