Re: Pre-release marketing and community management [Was: getting www.gnome3.org]

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:05 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 13:50 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> We've never done community management (well or at all) and it might be
> a good way to do a sales job on our own existing user base who fear
> change.  It will also prepare us for after the release for questions
> that will certainly be forthcoming when we make presentations at
> various conferences.  I have two conferences that I'll be talking at,
> Open Source Bridge and Linuxfest Northwest.  I've already put in the
> paperwork for them and I want to make sure that I can address any
> users who might be confrontational.
>
> Making the effort will earn us some brownie points I think.

*raises hand*

Me and Sri have discussed this a bit online. There already seems to be
an unorganised effort to do community management on the lists and
channels. Pooling, recycling and generating resources in the fight
against stop energy would only enhance that effort, I think.

It seems like we need two things:
1) a website to speak to the world (our our community) about GNOME 3.0 - that's gnome3.org
2) a place for all those interested in helping with community management to share stories and ideas - is that this list?

Stormy