Re: 2012 conferences...

On Fri, December 30, 2011 1:31 pm, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM, Brian Cameron
> <brian cameron oracle com>wrote:
>

>> Do we have GNOME 3 presentations available on the Wiki?  I looked on
>> the Presentations page, but the only GNOME 3 talk seems to be the one
>> Paul Cutler wrote before GNOME 3 was released.  I remember Vincent
>> having a really nice GNOME 3 talk but am not sure where it might be
>> archived.
>>

> I'm pretty sure that I uploaded mine, but it is only for 3.0.  That
> presentation only discusses the design and some of the features.  3.4
> should probably focus on the design of the apps that are coming like
> Pages.  But also the development platform and how to write good apps in
> 3.4.
>
> That said, I think Stormy had a decent idea that we should probably only
> target tech conferences to talk about the development platform and
> participate in other venues to increase GNOME exposure to other group
> other
> than the tech and open source community.

I agree with that! I was thinking that it could be good for us to put a
solid current GNOME presentation on our website that we can link to and
post around the internet, more like a sales presentation for those who
don't know what we do. Then we'd also have the slides and be ready to go
for in person presentations like what we're talking about here. It would
also be good for ambassadors to have, if we can get that program going too
:)

Once we had it we could add updating it to our tasks in releasing new
versions. (Though I'm thinking of this as something that's not release
specific necessarily, as Stormy gets at too, but it would really need to
be kept current).

Would anyone be interested in starting to put that together from existing
presentations? We're generating content for the annual report too, so the
more people the better (we've got a heavy load)! I can work on it too, of
course, and I'd be happy to be the face of it if others think that's a
good idea (though I'd love it if someone else wanted to do it too) but it
would be great to have a marketing team polished presentation :)

Also, we had an Code-in student put together a GNOME talks page at
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeTalks,which we could combine with the
Marketing wiki.

I love Sri's effort to be coordinated on conferences, we should
collectively try to be present at as many of the major ones as we can.
karen

>>  https://live.gnome.org/**GnomeMarketing/**MarketingMaterial/**
>> Presentations<https://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/MarketingMaterial/Presentations>
>>
>> Sriram:
>>
>> What is your planned topic?  Are you planning to discuss GNOME 3.4
>> improvements specifically?  It might be nice to take a GNOME 3 talk
>> and update it to discuss the progression of GNOME through 3.2 and 3.4
>> and updating the screenshots to better highlight some newer features.
>>

> I would like to update the talk for sure for those who want to give it.
> I'm not sure how many I will give this year, but I would like to talk more
> about the development platform instead of going over the design, which I
> think has had quite a bit of exposure in the tech world.
>
> I opened up this thread to make sure we are communicating what we intend
> do with outreach for this year and set plans and goals.
>
> sri
>

>>  Brian
>>

>> On 12/22/11 09:15 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
>>
>>> I think we need to start scoping out conferences for the next year and
>>> figure out how we are going to talk about GNOME 3.4.
>>>
>>> There are a number of talks I'm thinking of presenting:
>>>
>>> 1) Open Source Bridge 2nd quarter 2012
>>> 2) Northwest Linuxfest 2nd quarte 2012