Re: Marketing Accessibility

On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 18:44 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> 2011/8/24 Juanjo Marín <juanjomarin96 yahoo es>
>          Hi Marketing Team!
>
>          For a while now, the GNOME Accessibility Team has been
>         thinking and  wanting to get more involved in marketing. And
>         we have just been given  the nudge we needed to move from
>         thinking and wanting to actually doing:  The GNOME Board has
>         suggested we do so. :-) Thus here we are. :-)
>
> Welcome!
>

>          There are a couple of items which were specifically mentioned
>         to us, namely:
>
>          1. Would it be possible to have a Friends of GNOME campaign
>         for Accessibility? And if so, when?
>

> I'm going to let someone who is involved in FoG to answer that.
>

>          2. It might be advantageous for GNOME to do more targeted
>         accessibility fundraising with our sponsors, in which case
>         having materials such as a brochure (or something along those
>         lines) would be a good idea.
>

> Well, I certainly think that we should be able to target accessibility
> conferences with brochures or something like that.  Secondly, do we
> have a list of any popular accessibility devices (touch interfaces and
> the like) that works with GNOME?
>

>          But we're interested in other ideas as well. Please let us
>         know what we should be doing, and how we can best work towards
>         marketing Accessibility.
>

> Just throwing out some ideas.  Talking about accessibility within our
> own community might be okay, but I fear it might be a small audience.
>
> sri

Hi!

I have two GNOME A11y Banners that was meant to be used for posting at
accessibility conferences where GNOME has a presence.  one is a wall
banner with the A11y logo and "GNOME Accessibility"  the other is just
the logo and is meant to drape over a table to display the logo in front
of the table.  And I have a stand to hold the wall banner up.

I'll be glad to forward this to whomever wishes to be the banner master.

I had made up some general-purpose flyers (postcard in 5x7 inch size)
and had a bunch left over after the last CSUN conference so I included
it in the event kit.  I believe I sent back around 500 copies.  I hope
they are being stored and put to good use as they are meant to target
non-FOSS oriented audiences.

Both items were created at my personal expense.  I'll send the banner
kit to whomever in the United States, but not overseas as its too costly
and actually got held up in Spain for about 6 months in customs because
the other end did not claim it and so I lost a bunch of moola on that
wasted shipping as well.

And there is the GNOME A11y twitter account which is defunct since I am
no longer active in GNOME A11y marketing.

There is literally a boatload of accessibility fairs and conferences in
the United States alone and if funded, you could keep an A11y
"ambassador" quite busy with travel.   On the downside, these events are
rather costly to attend as well.  The CSUN conference alone was a $2000
booth charge.  These accessibility shows just don't see things the way
FOSS events see things when it comes to giving non-profits a booth.

Bryen M Yunashko