Re: Branding of GNOME-hosted Tomboy Online

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 10:20 -0500, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Sandy Armstrong
> <sanfordarmstrong gmail com> wrote:
> > With the understanding that we could always rebrand before this
> > deployment is open to the public, does anyone take issue with using
> > the "Tomboy Online" brand as we begin alpha testing?
>
> I probably know the answer to this, but just figured it's worth asking:
>
> Is the Tomboy name trademarked, and is there any potential issue with
> the trademark for the Tomboy name / brand?
>
> I like Dave's suggestion of GNOME Notes too.
>
> Best,
>
> Zonker
> --
> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jzb zonker net>
> About: http://www.dissociatedpress.net/about/

I'd like to see us use Tomboy Online in the short term.  GNOME Notes is
intriguing from a GNOME branding standpoint, but in my opinion, Tomboy
is one of the best cross-platform apps we have on the GNOME Platform,
with Tomboy working in Windows and Mac OS X.  I think "GNOME Notes"
might limit us in that regard.

I don't know (or can't think of right now, darn this head cold) a
sub-branding strategy that might work.  I know this is tactical, but
even in the "About" page on Tomboy Online I'd think we can give
attribution to GNOME and how Tomboy Online is hosted on the GNOME
infrastructure or ask for donations there.

Lastly, if and when we have more GNOME web services, we could discuss a
more unified branding strategy, but right now as Tomboy is the first
AGPL service GNOME is launching, I'd recommend going forward with Tomboy
Online.

Paul