Re: Communicating to users what GNOME 3.0 is

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Paul Cutler <pcutler gnome org> wrote:
On 01/15/2010 06:50 AM, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> El vie, 15-01-2010 a las 13:44 +0100, Andre Klapper escribió:
>>
>> As with every change, there's a lot of confusion and sometimes wrong
>> press about it (after reading some comments on articles in online tech
>> magazines on GNOME 3).
>> Beside wrong stuff like "They will remove nautilus and force us to use
>> zeitgeist/journal" and the classic "Please don't repeat KDE 4.0" I've
>> also seen a lot of "We cannot use gnome-panel and metacity anymore,
>> and
>> gnome-shell needs powerful hardware that I don't have" comments.
>>
>> It cannot hurt at all to clarify things here by communicating better
>> and
>> more often what GNOME 3 means and especially what it won't force users
>> to do to reduce FUD.
>>

> What do you say if we go -sometime in the campaign- with a meme-like
> thing in the fashion of debunking myths. Really short posts or tweets
> about this common misinterpretations.
> For example: #gnome3 MYTH: you're forced to use gnome-shell; FACT: you
> can run gnome-panel+metacity if you prefer

This is an awesome idea!

It's a great idea. Can we format them in that format on the wiki page? And have a section for ones that are good to go. (Someone who knows has reviewed it.)

Then we could have people start denting and twittering them. We could twitter from the GNOME account and from our personal accounts.

Stormy