Re: Communicating to users what GNOME 3.0 is

El vie, 15-01-2010 a las 13:44 +0100, Andre Klapper escribió:

> As with every change, there's a lot of confusion and sometimes wrong
> press about it (after reading some comments on articles in online tech
> magazines on GNOME 3).
> Beside wrong stuff like "They will remove nautilus and force us to use
> zeitgeist/journal" and the classic "Please don't repeat KDE 4.0" I've
> also seen a lot of "We cannot use gnome-panel and metacity anymore,
> and
> gnome-shell needs powerful hardware that I don't have" comments.
>
> It cannot hurt at all to clarify things here by communicating better
> and
> more often what GNOME 3 means and especially what it won't force users
> to do to reduce FUD.

What do you say if we go -sometime in the campaign- with a meme-like
thing in the fashion of debunking myths. Really short posts or tweets
about this common misinterpretations.
For example: #gnome3 MYTH: you're forced to use gnome-shell; FACT: you
can run gnome-panel+metacity if you prefer

That would already help I think. They key being short and concise,
because we can go on and elaborate on the future of stuff, but people
care about (meaning: will only read) the yes/no to their question.

I guess we could even have a funky critter to associate, but that might
be bikeshedding :P.