Re: Communicating to users what GNOME 3.0 is

On 01/13/2010 09:46 PM, Shane Fagan wrote:
> Thanks Paul,
> Ok my idea is "Debunking Gnome 3 myths"
> Im very familiar with Gnome shell and zeitgeist(and the activity
> journal) so on that end I can write up something good. The mallard
> migration needs a bit of describing please. Does it make the docs look
> nicer or do anything particularly different to regular old dockbook? The
> tomboy online thing is a little bit old news ubuntu 9.10 had cloud sync
> by default already. Other than the stuff you listed the only other
> things that come to mind are deprecations clean ups, the use of
> javascript and migrations to newer technologies by default(clutter,
> cairo).
>
> Regards
> Shane

The accessibility changes are big - and as it's a core component of
GNOME (accessible to all) there's probably a lot more we could be doing
around it.  (I'm not an expert on accessibility in any way, shape or form).

The documentation stuff is pretty cool - we're migrating away from task
based help (push x to use feature y) in a inflexible table of contents
to re-writing help to be topic based help.  Empathy is our flagship for
Mallard right now, as Empathy 2.28 is the first app to ship with topic
based help in Mallard.  If you compare the two help files from 2.26 to
2.28 you'll notice a big change, or even just the Empathy 2.28 help vs.
any other help document in GNOME.  I'm copying Shaun McCance too, I'm
sure he'll have more to add about Mallard and it's benefits.

I don't think the Tomboy thing is necessarily old news for two reasons -
1, we don't all use Ubuntu and 2, Snowy will be AGPL - just like
identi.ca, where you can use their service (Tomboy) you can run your own
Snowy instance if you choose to yourself (like status.net).

Paul