Re: Communicating to users what GNOME 3.0 is

Shane,

On 01/13/2010 07:21 PM, Shane Fagan wrote:
> Hey Stormy,
>
> I completely agree, just a few questions for clarification. what would
> you like for us to convey in the blog posts about gnome 3? Just that
> change happens and its badly needed? There is still a lot of confusion
> in the community what is going to be included in gnome 3. Its a redesign
> of the desktop experience but will it just be the main interface or will
> programs follow suit and use clutter too? Is zeitgeist going to be
> included as part of the default gnome stack?
> Ill write something up and do some screenshots if the release team can
> answer these questions.
>
> Regards
> Shane Fagan

These are all great questions.  In the talk that I've given a few times,
I try and highlight that GNOME 3 is much more than just Shell.  Though
Shell is front and center as it's the user experience, there's a lot
more going on:

* GNOME Activity Journal (A new way to find and manage your data on your
desktop)
* Tomboy Online (With the Snowy server users will be able to sync their
notes online and access and share them from the web)
* New and updated user help (The doc team is re-writing the user and
accessibility guides in Mallard with a focus on topic based help, as
well as a number of applications' help being re-written in Mallard)
* Accessibilty - GNOME Magnifier will be built in to the Shell, all the
Corba stuff is deprecated, new text to speech in GNOME Speech Dispatcher
* Marketing (new website, brainstorming about videos, etc)

And I'm sure there's more that I'm missing!

Thanks for helping with this!

Paul