Re: North American Event Box needs master guru

Canonical and Novell both offered to send CDs/DVDs. We just need to follow up with them.

Stormy

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Bryen M. Yunashko <suserocks bryen com> wrote:
On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 08:24 -0700, Larry Cafiero wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>
> wrote:
>
>         P.S. The event box currently lives with Larry Cafiero who
>         keeps it in his house, restocks it with the supplies we've
>         given him and ships it from event to event. Right now without
>         a schedule or a process, we're asking him todo a lot of work.
>         And he already maintains the Fedora event box too.
>

> Actually, it lives in my office :-) . While it's fine that it lives
> here and while I can stock it with swag, etc., from time to time (and
> when needed), I am far from the master guru that this box needs to
> attend to it.
>
> Thanks, Stormy, for addressing this issue and I'd be glad to help with
> any transition to someone who wants to take on this important duty.
>
> To address Bryen's comment in another e-mail about media, I will make
> sure that the box has Fedora CDs and DVDs.

With all due respect, while I was glad that I was able to facilitate
providing openSUSE CD's at the CSUN conference, I was a bit
uncomfortable with the fact that we were the only ones with media.  I
felt it gave visitors the impression that openSUSE was the preferred
distro of GNOME Foundation, and would have been more comfortable with
providing a selection to our visitors.

With the CSUN Conference, we've already resolved not to let that happen
again and make sure that next year's conference will have multiple
selections.  I think its best that we ensure that practice for all GNOME
Foundation booth events.

As for counts, just to give an idea.  We had 300 CDs, (Live, 32-bits,
and 64-bits) and were left with about 30 afterward.

We also gave out 50 shirts.

I think asking the major distros to contribute media and swag up front
would motivate many of them to do so, as it reduces their own costs of
coordinating shipments on a per-event basis and gives them additional
advertising.

Of course, all this means more work for you divvying up the goodies, and
maybe that's not a good idea either.

Bryen