Re: GNOME 3.0 Marketing Brainstorming #1 - Audiences

Hi,

Related previous writings of mine:

Luis Villa wrote:
> * Distros: the reality is that they make the default choice that
> determines what most of our users see. If we don't sell them on 3.x,
> our users will continue to use 2.x, as simple as that.

Agreed - an added benefit is that there are a small number of people to
get in contact with, talk to, and reassure here. One-on-one, phone &
in-person meetings will get the job done for the most part. No need for
a "campaign".

> * Linux Media: the various and sundry Linux media have a big say in
> what people perceive as 'the' Linux Desktop. Sadly, this is a fairly
> dysfunctional media, so telling them 'here is why Real People are
> going to be sold on 3.0' is a sometimes, but not always, effective
> technique.

http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2006/06/22/marketing-gnome-part-4-hobbyists/

I thing the target when targetting Linux media are computer hobbyists -
the Linux press is merely a means to that end.

> * Developers: they need to know why they should integrate with GNOME
> technologies, and particularly with whatever new ones we come up with.
> We need them to buy into it to build our ecosystem.

http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2006/06/14/marketing-gnome-third-party-developers/
http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2006/06/20/marketing-gnome-part-2-certification/

I also pointed out public administrations back in '06 as low-hanging
fruit where we're already doing OK:
http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2006/06/21/marketing-gnome-part-3-public-administrations/

Cheers,
Dave.