Re: Marketing, GNOME 3.0 and subteams

Brian,

I guess that answer was directed to me. ;)

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com> wrote:

That is simply not true.  Because GNOME is free, the software is far
less expensive than other proprietary solutions.

You may have misunderstood the point. Writing

    "GNOME's accessible"

simply is no benefit. It's a feature. Writing

    "Save Hundreds of Dollars License Costs with GNOME's Build-In Accessibility Tools"

or

    "How to Meet Section 508 Accessibility Requirements in your Company by Saving Thousands of Dollars."

are benefits. But, of course, that benefits apply only to special target groups. If you know a way to reach the target group (for example: any special place they frequent, any special journals they read, any special TV they watch), then it's really no problem to make something that communicates this special benefit.

If you care about this area, figure out how to reach the target audience, gather testimonials from the mailing list(s), write a text that sells, design the material, get a budget if necessary, and organize the distribution. I don't think anybody is going to stop you do that.

For marketing GNOME 3, though, accessibility is (nearly) useless, in my opinion. Most end-users without disabilities have other problems to care about.

It is true that, from a marketing perspective, the GNOME community
could provide more case studies and testimonials to help people who
haven't tried GNOME to understand how well it works, and can meet
their needs.  However, it isn't necessary for someone to install
GNOME to learn about its features and instill a desire to try it out.

Yes, strictly speaking, it's not necessary.  But, in general, people have better things to do in their lives than learning about some features of some software. Communicating something they care about helps getting heard.

Best regards,
Claus