Re: Software Freedom Day

Thilo:

I 100% agree with you.  My suggestion that we have default text for
particular days wasn't supposed to suggest we not do something more
special for any given event.  It just seems a way we could ensure
that we don't neglect to do *something* if we otherwise forget or
don't have time/resources to do more.

Brian

Couldn't we just set up the website so that on particular calendar days,
it automatically has some nice default information to display?
I guess we could. Just want to add that displaying a date is one thing
and promoting an event or doing something is another thing.

What can GNOME do? I would recommend issuing a news item talking about
the software freedom day and maybe also collecting what will be going
on. If GNOME related stuff goes on there could also be the chance to add
some photos and links. Also GNOME could do something on this day, too
like addressing the GNOME users and the people organizing those SFD
events or doing an event of its own. I think if one follows the spirit
of the SFD many things could be done. Also GNOMES regional groups could
become active - I am sure there were already many GNOMErs involved -
just that it was not mentioned. The SFD is not a centralised event but a
distributed - so part of the idea to let people get creative and for
GNOME itself helping them to do so. GNOME could also organize a bug
squashing day or something like that. Or a rally for donations for the
project, etc etc.

Most hackers love technical solutions. Those can be helpful - but too
often hackers also think that those solution will solve non-technical
problems. So the calendar will be an improvement for sure. But I would
hope that this wont be the end of the road.

Regards,
Thilo