Re: Software Freedom Day

Hi,

Thilo Pfennig wrote:
> just like to say that i think that its sad that THE free Linux desktop
> (GNOME) did not participate on the SFD nor did it mention it on
> www.gnome.org, neither the 25 years of GNU software. I think GNOME cant
> just ignore the biggest free software event in the world and also 25
> years of GNU software! And dont tell me nobody knew....

Agreed - but a token blog isn't much better than doing nothing. I did
send a call for participation last year, which didn't get any response,
and as usual, my time is limited (in fact, last week I wasn't even aware
that SFD had arrived until I saw the blogs about it the day after, since
I was travelling).

What we need is:

1. A set of ideas on low-pmaintenance stuff we can do for this type of thing
2. A list of people with the skills to do these things
3. someone/a small group to be aware of upcoming things, and co-ordinate
volunteers

For splash screens, recently, it's been "go ask Andreas", before that it
was "Go ask Tigert", it'd be nice to have more than one person we could
depend on for things like that. Somewhere between 1 and infinity (where
infinity would be launching a splash screen contest every release).

Similar for screencasts (a nice page on using free software to make high
quality screencasts with soundtracks would be great). Similar for
copy-writing. Similar for press releases. And probably other things too.

Unfortunately, right now I'm in "it'll have to be somebody else" mode -
I cannot add this to my todo list right now. Anyone else? Thilo?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary