Re: Revamping Friends of GNOME: help with web page text (with updated text!)

Hi, Brian!

Thanks for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. Let me explain
some of my decisions:

 * 'Less links': The goal of this page is to make people donate. But
   every link is a possible distraction for a potential donator. We
   should use nearly no links if possible.

 * Millions of people: As Dave already wrote, there's good reason to
   say 'millions'. See also the 10x10 page on live.gnome.org [1] for
   an older estimation by me.

 * The rest of the first paragraph: It is meant to act as a
   synecdoche [1]: Examples stand for the whole thing. In fact,
   I'd rather use even more concrete examples if they'd exist.
   There's no need to explain all the details like the 'One Laptop Per
   Child' program, existence of chat and IM programs, etc. These just
   distract.

 * The second paragraph: Repetition [2] is a classical technique. This
   is not source code or maths where you try to avoid redundant stuff.
   It's meant to remind people that they also benefit from GNOME.

Overall, the intention of the text is NOT to inform people; it's
meant to encourage and motivate people -- namely to spend money. ;)

If you want to inform people, there are other places and opportunities
I believe.

However, thanks very much for the corrections. I also agree with you
that 'small' corporations was too much detail. Thanks.

Any other comments?

Claus

[1] http://live.gnome.org/10x10
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche