Re: Revamping Friends of GNOME: help with web page text (with updated text!)

Hi,

these are really interesting results, and it might be useful to
remember that any campaign has a target audience.

People who never used Linux or GNOME before are unlikely to respond
and act on ads for a 'Friends of GNOME' program. To respond to their
'requirements' would be useless.

It may also be counter-productive: By adding stuff like a description
of what a desktop is, you'd annoy people who do know what it is.

Maybe, it might be better to live with some of the issues mentioned
in the feedback. I've reformulated the text a little bit to give it a
slightly different meaning; it's just a suggestion for discussion.

[snip]

A free and open source desktop for everyone

Millions of people already use GNOME, today. Available at no costs, it
helps children to learn about computers, foreigners to talk to each
other, researchers to develop new ideas, and smaller companies to
compete in a global economy.

GNOME offers nearly every thing you need your computer to do –
accessible, in your language, and freely available. Maybe, it already
helps you, too, so you can reach your goals and make your life a
better one?

All of this is possible because of the work and dedication of
innumerable volunteers: developers, artists, writers, designers, and
testers alike. They spend their valuable time and knowledge to work on
a common goal, to provide a free and open source desktop for all.

Help support their work! Become a Friend of GNOME and select one of
these programs now:

 * Adopt a Volunteer $10+ (Monthly Donation)
   You get: A set of GNOME stickers, a postcard from your favorite
hacker and recognition of your contribution.

[snip]

If you're still worried about the "What is GNOME?" question, link
'offers nearly every thing' to the GNOME About page.

If you'd like to promote the program, "Adopt a Volunteer" could also be
a potential topic (of 'slogan') for a campaign.

Claus