Re: Revamping Friends of GNOME: help with web page text (with updated text!)

I got some feedback from a couple of non-GNOME people. These are people that use computers regularly, are somewhat in the technical workspace, but not programmers. To be honest, and as a disclaimer and to give credit where credit is due, most of the specific feedback came from, Anita Lettieri, who is a database administrator/programmer (and also my boyfriend's mother. :)

I've updated the pages. Three things for all of you:

  • I think we could still use a campaign slogan, especially since I removed the "adopt a hacker" idea. Ideas?
  • Does anybody have a good page that explains what the desktop is or what GNOME is that we could link to? Otherwise, we should probably create one.
  • One last review of the text - I modified the text (especially at the beginning) in response to the feedback below.
Here's the specific feedback and I've attached the modified text.

Feedback that generates significant changes:

  • Hacker – BAD!  VIRUS!   I know that in the software world, hacker can be a good thing.  But everything in the "other" connects hackers to bad stuff happening to your computer. (But "Somehow "adopt a software developer" seems too dry…")
  • Is $10 the only option?  $5 or $25?  Could I also get quarterly email updates on what is being accomplished by my specific developer… maybe at the $25 or higher level?
  • Free desktop confusion:
    • I don't know enough about free desktop.  I need education.  Is free desktop something I can use?  Does it replace the windows operating system?  Can I run windows software?  Where do I go for help if I need it?  Is there a primer on it that is geared to someone like me?
    • The ad does a good job of explaining the purpose of the GNOME Foundation and what it supports.  But if I don't know what free desktop, open source software, if it will benefit me, I would probably not let loose with the bucks.  It would be nice if there was a link like: "Undecided?  Want to know more about free desktop and how it will benefit you?" link.  (or "Want to know more about free desktop and why it is important – why the world needs it?"  How does the volunteer software developer program work?)
    • FYI, this was repeated by everyone. Most people didn't get what part of their computer was the desktop. Windows = Linux, and the desktop is ...? Anita suggested a free desktop campaign based on something like "pork, the other white meat".)

Changing in wording:

Positive feedback:
  • Pages look great. They really do!
  • I like the overall look and feel.  It is clean looking and the green color reaches out and grabs you.  That and the graphics make me think of Ireland and leprechauns for some reason.
  • I especially liked the "Thanks for your donation" section on the second page that spelled out what the different levels of money could accomplish.

Stormy