Re: Revamping Friends of GNOME: help with web page text (with updated text!)
- From: "Stormy Peters" <stormy gnome org>
- To: "GNOME Marketing List" <marketing-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: Revamping Friends of GNOME: help with web page text (with updated text!)
- Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 05:17:44 -0600
I got some feedback from a couple of non-GNOME people. These are people that use computers regularly, are somewhat in the technical workspace, but not programmers. To be honest, and as a disclaimer and to give credit where credit is due, most of the specific feedback came from, Anita Lettieri, who is a database administrator/programmer (and also my boyfriend's mother. :)
I've updated the pages. Three things for all of you:
- I think we could still use a campaign slogan, especially since I removed the "adopt a hacker" idea. Ideas?
- Does anybody have a good page that explains what the desktop is or what GNOME is that we could link to? Otherwise, we should probably create one.
- One last review of the text - I modified the text (especially at the beginning) in response to the feedback below.
Here's the specific feedback and I've attached the modified text.
Feedback that generates significant changes:
- Hacker – BAD! VIRUS! I know that in the software world, hacker can be a good thing. But everything in the "other" connects hackers to bad stuff happening to your computer. (But "Somehow "adopt a software developer" seems too dry…")
- Is $10 the only option? $5 or $25? Could I also get quarterly email updates on what is being accomplished by my specific developer… maybe at the $25 or higher level?
- Free desktop confusion:
- I don't know enough about free desktop. I need education. Is free desktop something I can use? Does it replace the windows operating system? Can I run windows software? Where do I go for help if I need it? Is there a primer on it that is geared to someone like me?
- The ad does a good job of explaining the purpose of the GNOME Foundation and what it supports. But if I don't know what free desktop, open source software, if it will benefit me, I would probably not let loose with the bucks. It would be nice if there was a link like: "Undecided? Want to know more about free desktop and how it will benefit you?" link. (or "Want to know more about free desktop and why it is important – why the world needs it?" How does the volunteer software developer program work?)
- FYI, this was repeated by everyone. Most people didn't get what part of their computer was the desktop. Windows = Linux, and the desktop is ...? Anita suggested a free desktop campaign based on something like "pork, the other white meat".)
Changing in wording:
- Maybe change "Monthly" banner to "Monthly Donation"
- I would leave out the beer reference. Good for young and hip. Might create a disconnect for people that are older and might have more money to contribute.
- On fog3.png. The content on the two bottom columns could be broken up or divided into very clear divisions...with tables or whatever...to make it more appealing to read the big long lists. It is a little tiring to try to do that without some clearly divided areas.
- Pages look great. They really do!
- I like the overall look and feel. It is clean looking and the green color reaches out and grabs you. That and the graphics make me think of Ireland and leprechauns for some reason.
- I especially liked the "Thanks for your donation" section on the second page that spelled out what the different levels of money could accomplish.
On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 1:53 PM, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org>
I took everyone's feedback on the wording and updated the text. Andreas uploaded new png files to the URLs below, if you want to see them. I also attached an odt document with the text.
Now I'm going to go recruit some new volunteers for GNOME. I'm going to get a couple of people that aren't familiar with GNOME to take a look at the web pages and give their feedback.
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Andreas Nilsson <nisses mail home se>
Andreas Nilsson wrote:
Stormy Peters wrote:
Thoughts? Anyone willing to help with the web page?
Kalle Persson and myself want to look into the design of this during the weekend.
Here are the designs Kalle and I did:
We were uncertain about some details, such as if it was only the "Adopt a Hacker" level that was monthly, plus some other stuff that I can't remember right now (do you Kalle?).
As the hippies we are, we also took the liberty to not follow the specification specifically. ;)
Hrm, no, seriously, we mostly rearranged some stuff and we hope it came out for the better.
There is also a svg with all the elements in it here if anyone wants to modify it: http://www.andreasn.se/diverse/temp/friends-of-gnome/friends-of-gnome-design.svg
We can fix the html and css for this unless someone else eagerly wants to do it (I recall some e-mail about this, but I can't seem to find it now). Not sure what's easiest.
] [Thread Prev