Re: GNOME files disabled

Simos Xenitellis schrieb:
> On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 6:34 AM, Thilo Pfennig <tp pfennigsolutions de> wrote:
>
>> Claus Schwarm schrieb:
>>
>>> It's just not as efficient as for other platforms because releases are
>>> rather boring if they cannot be installed easily and immediately. That
>>> was the central problem of gnomefiles.
>>>

>> Not specific to gnomefiles.org. Thats the same problem gnome.org has.
>> Like new GNOME but you have to compile yourself. Also same problem most
>> linuxbased FLOSS has.
>>

> The importance I can see with gnomefiles.org is that it focuses on
> intermediate users,
> those that can afford to install some development packages, then run
> ./configure, make, sudo make install.
> These users have a higher chance to pick up a project of their own,
> and convert to GNOME developers later on.
>
> Simos

Maybe a revision based directory would be cool. Like every distro has
another version of an application. They then could link to one directory
with &version=2.22&rev=0 or so - this would enable the view of one
application to be exact that of the linked version. So actually very
wiki-like, except that the revisions would be hardcoded. So this
descriptions could be used by every package manager and distribution.
Distributions may want to add some bits if they patch a version. But
that would be much nicer than of every distro needs to essentially copy
and paste the same bits. This could also be matched to a RSS feed, so
that people see when which version or description was updated.

Regards,
Thilo

--
Thilo Pfennig - PfennigSolutions IT-Beratung- Wiki-Systeme
Sandkrug 28 - 24143 Kiel (Germany)