Re: Revamping Friends of GNOME: help with web page text

Although "Bring free desktop to the world" seems a reasonable mission to
me, it just doesn't seem to get my blood racing as a good mission
statement should.  Not sure what would be better, though.

We could focus more on bringing computers/technology to the world. Show a picture of kids playing on OLPCs.

I think we should get more involved with promoting humanitarian projects.  We've already sponsored projects promoting Women and
Accessibility, we should suggest we want to do more.  Many people who
like to donate like to donate to humanitarian projects, so I think we
should try more to appeal to this.
We could highlight these.

We could also discuss how GNOME software is used by the XO "One
Laptop Per Child" project, and how its already translated into 3rd
world languages, supports accessibility, etc.
Definitely. We could leverage off of their brand recognition too - that'd be a good start.

In the "On the payment/check out page:" you do not highlight how people
should specify how they might want to earmark money.  What if someone
wants to donate money for something specific, like accessibility, an
upcoming hackfest, doing translation into a 3rd world language, or
someone's travel expense.  Shouldn't we provide a mechanism, or explain
how people can earmark money for certain things?
I was specifically avoiding earmarking money as I think it causes accounting nightmares. But that does remind me that I wanted to have a field where people could leave us a comment and tell us what's important to them.

For "Adopt a Hacker" wouldn't it make more sense to get a postcard from
a volunteer who received money from us.  For example, perhaps when we
give people money for travel, one of the things they need to do is
write a "thank you" postcard to some number of people.  It might be
nicer to get a postcard from a volunteer who actually can say thank
you for the money.  In fact, it might be nice to send out such thank
you postcards for any donation.
That's a good idea, we could do both.

> # Ensure a free and secure desktop environment for nondevelopers.
Accessibility, usability, ... if it's too vague we can leave it out.

Stormy