Re: Maybe help ease the pain of 2.20 release notes?

On 3/17/07, Thilo Pfennig <thilopfennig foresightlinux org> wrote:

On 3/15/07, Joachim < joachim gnome googlemail com> wrote:
The other problem with the release notes is that we do them backwards.
We should be thinking about the 2.20 release notes NOW, not in 6 months. We should be planning what the focus of the next release is, instead of just listing what's come over the wall at the end of the cycle.

Well I think that this is absolutely impossible. For instance I had added Jokosher 0.9 to Foresights release notes and just heard on the release day that this will not be released. I think  you can try this in a company like Apple or Microsoft - but even there thery must accept that they do not meet the goals.

What I actually mean is exactly what you talk about further down in your reply.
Let's identify areas to focus on this cycle: weaknesses, things we know developers are interested in pushing forward, things we know users want.
Put this together as a set of aims for the coming release cycle. Communicate this to developers, and encourage them to direct their work towards it.
Sure, we probably won't get everything. Some things might not make it. So what? We might still get a better release out of it, a more coherent direction for Gnome to take, and an increased feeling of community as people work on common goals.

To talk straight about GNOMEs weaknesses I just say what I think that is NOW:

How should we best discuss these? One new thread to discuss forward focus in general? One thread for each topic? Or on the wiki (which would be my preferred method)? I'm aware that we already have lists on the wiki of what needs improving in gnome -- they sprout up everywhere. Starting a new one without enough people behind it won't help.

So -- rest of marketing group, foundation board members etc -- is this something we can try for 2.20?