Re: Maybe help ease the pain of 2.20 release notes?

On 3/17/07, Joachim <joachim gnome googlemail com> wrote:

To talk straight about GNOMEs weaknesses I just say what I think that is NOW:

How should we best discuss these? One new thread to discuss forward focus in general? One thread for each topic? Or on the wiki (which would be my preferred method)? I'm aware that we already have lists on the wiki of what needs improving in gnome -- they sprout up everywhere. Starting a new one without enough people behind it won't help.

I am know to favour the wiki. I think one problem with all the splits is that many discussion are not summarized or the results are not added to the pages. The wiki itself is the wild west ;-) - I think generally we should try to have less pages and not one new page for every new idea. But thats what people often do: the honor existing content and add a new page rather then refactoring the old pages. Also some things seemed to be discussed on some lists and decisions are not always added to the wiki page where they would make sense.

The problem is:

 * Each new wiki page must be read and understand by people
 * We have about 2700 pages now
 * Nobody can or ever will read all.

I Think I would like to make an online IRC/wiki session which can be very powerful A wiki is asynchronous and thats cool but combined with IRC and with realtime work you can quickly agree on new page structures. I even think we may create a channel for the wiki(s), so that everybody who works in the wiki can log in and ask and suggest and help each other.

The thing is that from one perspective EVERY page on the wiki is about marketing - if you see it as ressources that lead to new releases of software.

Also I think cleanups make the most sense - much more than adding new content. I also would like to suggest that we make some content only writeable to some groups which is absolutely possible in a wiki. Why that? Because then they can make sure that the page only contains content of their group - and everybody who visits knows he can depend on it. I would always add pages to a groups space that are writeable to all or even anonymous.

We could start making some pages on http://live.gnome.org/TeamWorkspaces official workspaces. On Moin Wiki this is done ny adding a page like AccountsTeam/AdminGroup to the AutoAdminGroup. This allows the accounts team to add some people to a team AdminGroup. This group than could set ACLs for AccountsTeam/* .If you add AccountsTeam/ReadGroup and AccountsTeam/ReadWriteGroup you also can set who may read or write all pages.

This would be much more intelligent as the current status where there are only some people in the AdminGroup who may do all.

This would also allow us to hide some pages in GnomeMarketing/* which should only be visible to some people which are core to the marketing team - or just make some pages writeable. Or even make one page writeabel to anonymous contributions.

But this are all just ideas where we would highly depend on admins. And as we do not know when and how this might change we cant take that route now.

So back to reality I would say we should do refactor the GnomeMarketing pages to reflect the current status and also move some content to archive pages.

--
Thilo Pfennig
http://wiki.foresightlinux.com/confluence/display/~vinci/