Re: Working Draft

Cool, not bad! Actually it looks good at a first sight, like fresh and
new. I haven't gone into details but here are some comments.

On 3/5/07, Gervais Mulongoy <gervais mulongoy gmail com> wrote:
The first one is a revision of what I posted earlier, and it attempts to
reduce the verbosity.
 http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ReleaseNotes/Draft

Bring the verbosity back, please. Or at least bring back the one
sentence introduction of each tool. Otherwise we end up writing the
notes to those knowing already everything.

Move to the end the 'about GNOME' kind of first paragraph, and start
with the key lines that describe what is so cool in this release. Yep,
is the most difficult part.

Find a title for each item, the name of the app/component is not enough.

Add links to the project page of each app/component, so people can
continue reading if they wish.

When sorting items, take in account sexiness of screenshots, putting
on top the items that will have coolest screenshots. We can have a mid
sized graphic for the top items and then a thumbnail size for the
rest, leaving the items without graphics to the end (in a worst case
scenario we can add icons and otgher grapghics already available,
people like colored pixels in long pages with dark text).

btw, your call for graphics might end up without response since your
requirements were quite difficult to match. Do you really need so many
screenshots? Do you really want to go through all the L10n trouble?
Really, we don't have much time. You will probably need to find those
screenshots almost for yourself, or Planet bloggers and/or the Release
team members in this list can help you reaching people that could help
(i.e. the own developers. Is art.gnome.org gathering screenshots this
release? I haven't checked yet.

The second one organizes the content following a suggestion by Andreas. This
draft still needs  alot of work as it attempts to express the new features
and capabilities of each component of GNOME in a very conversational and
informal way.
http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ReleaseNotes/Draft2

This approach is interesting but we can't afford having 2 branches to
work on when we should be delivering a final text... today. Don't
throw this away, it could be an interesting introduction to be sent to
i.e. gnomedesktop.org. But I recommend you to concentrate in first
things first: the link above. It is a huge change already compared to
what we have been doing in previous releases.

Thanks Gervais, you are doing a good job.