Planet GNOME block (was Re: Page Layout Update)

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 05:47 +0200, karderio wrote:

> A suggestion, if one wished to promote pgo, could be to have a
> sentence/paragraph in the introductory text

Yes, of course. We haven't decided yet the elements of the Planet
component, nor of the rest of components. Don't worry, we are not going
to have a wgo homepage with that Planet block until March and we will
have plenty of time to define it, see it in action and test it. If it
works in the context of the wgo homepage, good. If it doesn't, out.

> If dynamic content was to be included on the front page, would pgo/news
> not also be a good candidate ?

This is an approved component, you can see it in Lee's mockup in the
left of the Planet block.

> Well, I'm afraid I don't think you can draw any conclusions from the
> last three posts...

This is exactly my point: for the good and for the bad the last n posts
of Planet GNOME are unpredictable, although generally interesting at
some extent.

Another non-accurate statistic: as I'm writing there are in the Planet
24 posts with certain relation to GNOME/software and 21 with no relation
at all. Although maybe Grandma and Joe would be more interested in
paragliding, salami parties and the guys who make eclipses.  ;)

> btw, was there a previous discussion, where can one find it ? (Dare I
> guess that any discussion occured on IRC ?)

If I remember correctly, wgo showing content in the language of your
browser was pragmatically agreed back in January or so, in the earlier
discussions about the revamp. I think this idea was agreed without much
discussion then at some point during the GUADEC bof, and Christian Rose
defined that also in his Localization wiki page.

No big/hard decisions about the revamp are being made on IRC as fair as
I know, although sometimes those chats as useful to agree on small
details to finish drafts.

> btw, the ComponentSelection [1] page lists a news section rather than a
> planet section for the front page.

Lists both.

> In any case I suppose what goes in the offending space isn't all that
> primordial, to me it still seems far from the best idea to put pgo there
> though :)

I still think that if thousands of readers follow it daily and bloggers
fight to get in, it's for a reason. Planet GNOME is one of the most
interesting web spaces we have been able to create (for insiders and
also GNOME outsiders), therefore there must be a strong reason not to
show some of it in our wgo homepage.