Grandma and Joe (was Re: Page Layout Update)

Let's concentrate on Grandma and Joe, potential GNOME users although not
much into software or freedom. We need to decide what do we want to do
with them since they appear recursively in our discussions.

On Tue, 2006-09-12 at 05:47 +0200, karderio wrote:
> I've been arguing for Joe on the basis
> that GNOME should be "easy for everyone to use".

(...)

> it should pose no problem for these people to click
> on a Planet GNOME link, while it could potentially confuse or put off
> Joe.

As I see it, GNOME in the computer universe is like Pirelli (tires) or
Motul (oil) in the car industry. Every time Grandma or Joe picks the car
they are using tires and oil. This doesn't imply though that they have a
clue of the brand and importance of tires and oil while they are
driving, nor we should deduce that frequent drivers are frequent users
of pirelli.com or motul.com. Racing fans, mechanics and car
manufacturers are more likely to be interested in the last Pirelli
campaign or in the pilots Motul is sponsoring. No matter Grandma and Joe
see the Pirelli and Motul logos everytime they watch a Grand Prix
champion or a race on tv, they surely won't have any interest knowing
more about those shiny logos.

So... should we aim to end users? Definitely, and hobbyists that are
software or freedom enthusiasts are already one of our primary targets.
See the use cases planned for users at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/UseCases to see what situatiions we are
aiming to satisfy.

Should we target specifically Grandma and Joe? Well, I think we have
other priorities. For instance to target the distros (systematically
avoided in our discussions about audiences), many of them do target
directly Grandma and Joe and they are our primary way to get to
mainstream end users.

Said that, even Grandma and Joe may find a corner in the wgo homepage
that would be appealing to them: the top right column at
http://www.leetambiah.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/downloads/layoutPlanHome0.5.svg has a What Is GNOME component that could incorporate a tiny screenshot followed by a GNOME Product featured, that perhaps could be a program they can also download and try in MS Windows.