Re: Epiphany Homepage

On 9/9/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:

--- Luca Cavalli <luca cavalli gmail com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 17:33 +0100, Joachim Noreiko
> wrote:
> > > Another option could be to create a
> > > Gnome start page just
> > > for the purpose of using it as home page in
> > > Epiphany.
> >
> > Hmmm... maybe.
> > But don't most distros overwrite that anyway?
> Ubuntu
> > certainly provides a home page (not sure if it
> puts it
> > into Epi as well as Firefox, but logically it
> should).
> >
> > I don't think it's worth the effort of something
> else
> > to maintain on our site.
> >

> Well, just because Ubuntu, or any other distro,
> override GNOME defaults,
> it is not a good reason to not have them. This was
> the same for splash
> screen (I can remember a discussion about that a
> couple of releases
> ago). Not all distros overwrite GNOME defaults and
> not all users install
> precompiled packages. GNOME should take care also of
> these users.
> Ciao,

Have I said before how much I dislike the distro model
and how much difficulty it causes us? ... oh yeah,
nearly every day ;)

Anyway, yes, point taken.

Can we simply use a part of the w.g.o site already
planned for in the proposed new structure?
If not, would this home page be something a visitor to
w.g.o can access? ie, is it something we must add to
the structure, or does it remain separate? And what's
a good stable URL?

It blows my mind that anyone would think about replacing the most
useful homepage on the internet (google) with a page that will be
useful to our users *once*, in the *best case* scenario.

Now, if someone talked to google about creating something like:
http://www.google.com/firefox

That might be both useful to our users and good for our marketing.
That probably needs to be something discussed carefully with the board
before it happens, though.

Luis