Re: The wgo CMS can't wait more

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 02:00:57PM +0200, Henri Bergius wrote:
> Hi, Sri!
>
> On 10/26/06, Sri Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> wrote:
> > This sounds interesting.  I know that for my vision of GNOME Journal I
> > wanted to have translated articles so that we aren't just stuck with a
> > single language.  We are currently using TextPattern which does the job,
> > but not what I've envisioned.  However, I have not been able to find an
> > alternative short of a xslt/xmlpo/makefile system that makes it hard for
> > other people to learn.
>
> Well, Midgard should be quite a bit easier than that :-)

Well, yes, but it fits into the model that il8n people are doing using POT
files.

> While gnome.org is now going to Plone, you can still watch a site
> being migrated to Midgard in the Maemo community:

Cool!

> There we do the migration process in an open way, maintaining
> conversion scripts and layout templates in a public SVN repository.
>
> This one might be interesting for the GNOME community also because
> we're migrating content areas managed by several apps gnome.org uses
> like MoinMoin and GTKdoc to Midgard.

I'll definitely be checking that out.  If it has the right stuff I will
ask to see if GNOME Journal might be interested in it.

> > I know
> > for about two years or so you've been doing some GNOME integration with
> > Midgard.  What kind of stuff have you been doing?  I find that part very
> > interesting, especially if we can manage our web pages using desktop
> > technology.
>
> For now most of the integration is on infrastructural level. Every
> content object in Midgard is a GObject, we do database accesses via
> libgda (in the new 1.9 branch) etc. Once the libgda stuff has been
> done the next plan is to refactor Midgard's event notification
> ("article was changed" etc) to utilize DBUS.

This sounds very interesting.  Not to cause undue traffic in marketing-list
perhaps you might be willing to help write an article on Midgard and it's
infrastructure.  We can talk offline about it.

> There is also a Midgard object browser that has been written as a
> GNOME app by Piotr Pokora:
> http://www.nemein.com/people/piotras/mob-needs-name.html

Good stuff!  What would be neat is to have a GNOME client and then have
people be able to check out content to translate or to write articles.
That would be really awesome.

I think you're the only guys actually using GNOME internally right?

Thanks Henri for all your hard work, it's appreciated.

sri