Re: *.gnome.org partitioning draft

Calum Benson wrote:
On 20 Jul 2006, at 07:59, Quim Gil wrote:

Ok, then we would have www.gnome.org/projects/* pages which would be
feature pages from projects, probably elaborated by the marketing team, while the project pages themselves would fall out of our responsibility
and would be placed under projects.gnome.org/*

Since we don't have project feature pages, all the current projects
should be under projects.gnome.org/* , we need to decide which feature
pages we want to have for the current release under
www.gnome.org/projects/*, and do them.

Is there really any need for the intermediate "projects" level in the URL, btw? I always find it unbelievably convenient that the home page for every major Apple application is just http://www.apple.com/ <appname>, for example.
I would tend to agree here. I think it is important we have a number of gnome.org branded home pages for the key applications within the desktop, like apple.com does. For example, and introductory page for nautilus might be at www.gnome.org/nautilus or www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus. This would serve as both informative and marketing to new users.

Whenever I see projects.gnome.org it makes me think of a sourceforge type site the provides hosting and other services. Do we really want to be a hosting service for some (but not all) gnome related projects? Even sourceforge does not have directory level urls for each project. Instead, each project gets it's own sub-domain.

If we went ahead with just moving gnome.org/projects to projects.gnome.org, I don't think we would be solving any problems. The only problem with /projects at the moment is that it frequently causes problems with the website build. We could solve this by moving it out into separate module(s). The only other problem is that the sites don't follow the www.gnome.org design, but I think this is outside the scope of the main www.gnome.org revamp (we need to concentrate on our content, not other people's).

I hadn't prepared a partitioning draft yet, partly because I hadn't been aware my name was next to the task, but also because I can not see many reasons for changing most of the current arrangement. The only changes I would make would be to either update or remove developer.gnome.org, and move some of the more anomalous sub-domains to other places (e.g. glade.gnome.org moves to www.gnome.org/projects/glade).

So, let's focus on sorting out our own content before we start moving other things around. We will have to provide legacy links anyway, so there seems little point in moving something unless we are absolutely in agreement it's what we want to do.

-Thomas