Re: 2.10 release notes

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 00:17:01 +0100
Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 21:15 +0100, Claus Schwarm wrote:
> >
> > Yes, sure. But it's too much news. The GNOME 2.8 release had three
> > exciting points: Evolution, the platform bindings package,
>
> The bindings were not a major user visible feature, and their
> inclusion in the release process does not even make that much
> difference to developers.

Well, you asked for my opinion. The inclusion of Totem and Sound-juicer
doesn't make that much difference to users either, so why should
journalists care to write about it?

A release and its press release enables us to tell not-yet-users about
the ongoing efforts to create a real choice for them.

Remember, learning Linux and GNOME is a risky decision if the other
part of the world learns Windows. They have to invest a lot of time into
learning, explanations to their friends, making new experiences etc.
They'll loose social contacts when all their friends play the new cool
3D Shooter, and talk about the scary monster in level 15.

They are scared if it will pay of. Will there be enought apps one day?
Will they get a job when the job annoucement asks for MS Office
experience but they only ever saw OOo? Will GNOME continue to grow or
will it end like other sourceforge projects one day?

Thus, we need to build trust. Therefore, we should talk less about the
difference in the releases and more about the meaning of these
differences. IMHO, of course. ;-)

Cheers,

Claus