another mild call for volunteers [was Re: made some release notes 'splash' changes]

On 8/28/05, Claus Schwarm <c schwarm gmx net> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:54:47 -0400
> Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
>
> > It will be on gnome.org/start/, as it has been for many releases. We
> > can certainly consider putting up other pages that are focused purely
> > on download somewhere else, though.
> >

> Sorry, I didn't know about the wgo/start url. We'll take care about a
> sort of download page before the next release, yes ?  ;-)

I hope that before the release someone will take the lead on creating:

gnome.org/downloads (or maybe gnome.org/install or gnome.org/getgnome
?) Should contain links to/brief explanation of: liveCD, davyd's
footware, list of sites like
breakmygentoo/http://rubberturnip.org.uk/rpms/usr-local-bin.php/etc.,
building from tarballs with garnome, and finally building from CVS
with jhbuild.

and

gnome.org/applications- I've already discussed some with Andreas,
don't recall if this list was cc'd or not. Basically, a 'highlights'
page of some of the best GNOME apps, and pointers on how to find more.
If anyone wants to take this on, please contact me.

Both would be very useful to have in general, and should be easy for
someone with some free time and web skills to set up.

> > I'm tempted to remove [the sentence about platforms], really.
> >

> Everybody visiting that page will know if GNOME runs on his system, I
> believe. You should delete the part, indeed.

Yeah. Worst case it should be covered by the gnome.org/install or whatever.

> The other changes improved the page, IMHO. Well done!

thanks. :)

Luis (still plugging away on the release notes reorg)