Re: made some release notes 'splash' changes

Some things we need to add to the release notes, just putting them in
this email so they don't get forgotten:

* menu editing (inc. 'known issue' that the old menu editing methods
won't really work anymore)
* more perfect focus stealing prevention
* implementation of the WM hint by the panel for the blink-y thingie

On 8/28/05, Claus Schwarm <c schwarm gmx net> wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:45:14 -0400
> Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
>
> > If someone could proof/comment, I'd appreciate it. The goal was to put
> > the most interesting stuff (release notes, getting gnome) first, and
> > to clarify the language around each thing.
>
> Maybe a general note is allowed as well?
>
> I guess, this will be linked under w.g.o/download/ after the release. If
> you click a link called 'download', what is the most important
> information?

It will be on gnome.org/start/, as it has been for many releases. We
can certainly consider putting up other pages that are focused purely
on download somewhere else, though.

I'd like to have a 'get gnome' page that has livecd, tarballs,
includes footware, and somehow sanely includes the many projects like
breakmygentoo, ubuntu unstable, fedora rawhide, etc., that allow you
to get HEAD-ish packages. But I think that is distinct from the page
we point people to when we first release.

[And yes, Claus, I owe you an email on this subject, I'm sorry I've
been so laggy on that. I might not get better on this until after Oct.
and my exams are done.]

>  * use "of the free and popular multi-platform desktop..."

Changed to:
GNOME 2.12 is the latest version of the free and popular desktop
environment, providing all the tools a user needs to do their work,
and a platform for developers to write new tools with.

>  * replace 'GNOME's focus is' by 'GNOME focuses on'.
>  * break the sentence: "accessibility support. GNOME and ...."
>  * include "...are meant to be usable..." (or "supposed to be"?)

Now:
GNOME focuses on ease of use, stability, and first class
internationalization and accessibility support. As a result GNOME and
applications built on GNOME should be usable by anyone,
anywhere.

>  * add a paragraph break before "GNOME runs..."

I'm tempted to remove that whole sentence, really.

>  * replace "...release- what..." by "...release: What..."
>
>  * replace "...and reboot- won't.." by "and "...reboot. It won't ..."

Have reworked this last bit to:

"If you want to preview the latest version of GNOME, our LiveCD is the
easiest way to do that. Download, burn, and reboot. You'll see the
latest and greatest GNOME and friends have to offer, without touching
your current system."

Thanks, Claus.

Luis