Re: Merchandise and publicity packs for conferences

> About that... my personal feeling is that the foot is not something we
> should put emphasis on. We've got fun logo but it doesn't really say

I think your instincts are good here.  Wasn't the foot chosen rather
randomly (and later changed to a *left* foot and made to resemble the
letter G)?  It is cute, but not particularly meaningful.

It would be nice if we could come up with maybe three concepts for the
tech audience.  I think they should be a direct answer to the question:
"Why should I care about and use Linux/GNOME?"

We can play on Windows' obvious weaknesses by talking about "stability"
and "security".  (What OSX and Firefox do.)

Then there's "control".  Not in the "many settings" sense, but rather
that you will never have to endure ads on your screen or be constantly
nagged to buy some upgrade/service.  Or, as someone else put it, "I will
never be forced to have a blue E on my desktop just because Bill Gates
says so." (or fill in your own cross-promotional BS)

The "power under the hood" concept is enticing.  For certain types, it's
important to know that there's a solid foundation and a good terminal
there even if one spends almost all of their time in a GUI.

Finally, I think a forward-looking technology discussion would help to
pique a techie's interest.  Essentially "here's how Windows does it,
here's how OSX does it, here's how we're doing it/going to do it
better."

"Project Utopia" is a good example of this, both because of what it sets
out to do (exciting!) and because of the great name.

-Ian