Re: Merchandise and publicity packs for conferences

Salut Sebastien,

Sebastien Biot wrote:
> I guess I should step in. I haven't had a lot of time to dedicate to
> GNOME lately but I have kept an eye on this thread. This is definitely
> something I'm interested in doing. I've actually worked on some stuff
> (posters[1], t-shirts[2], and docs[3]). All of it was done with nothing
> but experimentation in mind; it's probably not "optimized" for public
> consumption.

I like the PDF of "Pourquoi choisir GNOME" - it's the kind of
thing which could be equally useful as an A4 hand-out and an A2
poster at a stand.

> I suppose the first thing to do would be to create plain b&w (cheap)
> posters (logo, project name, foundation's address?). In terms of size,
> I'd shoot for large though that's mostly up to whomever would be
> printing them. Good scalable graphics designed for ISO A-sizes should
> work on anything from A4 to A0.

There are two types of posters - the first is a simple "identify
GNOME" type poster, which would have a big logo, GNOME and a
short slogan (which we don't have yet) - we could have 2 or 3 of
these. For example, in French we could have "C'est le pied!" as a
slogan (thanks to a colleague for pointing that out), although
that isn't really a GNOMEy type expression.

Some decent 4 or 5 word slogans would be great - the GNOME
equivalent of "Take back the web", "Rediscover the web", "The
browser you can trust" and "Safer, faster, better" for Firefox,
or "Secure by default" and "Functional, secure, free - choose 3"
for OpenBSD & OpenSSH.

Some foot-based slogan ideas are "One small step for GNOME..."
(Neil Armstrong), "One step beyond" (Madness), "Put your best
foot forward", "The shoe is on the other foot"; perhaps we should
have some message-based slogans too - what is GNOME best at right
now? Accessibility, usability, interoperability? Ease of
deployment? What are the messages we want to send?

I'll start putting some of this stuff in the wiki, but we need to
do a bit of brainstorming I think and pick 2 or 3 to hammer on.
Stefan, you seem to have thought a lot about this already - what
do you think?

> Somewhere down the road it'd be nice to have thematic posters. That's
> sort of what I meant to do with [1] though what I have in mind now is
> different. I'd like to try something less dogmatic and better targeted
> (GNOME for developers, examples of large scale deployments, &c)

I agree, the thematic posters with a headline and some text are
great - the only small point I would make is that there is noting
that identifies GNOME at a first glance.

> I'll get started on the identity posters. We can talk some more about
> what the thematic posters could be if someone's interested.

That's brilliant. Have you been talking to Gael about GNOME-fr at
all?

Cheers,
Dave.

--