Re: New design ideas

On 03/13/2014 07:39 PM, Hashem Nasarat wrote:
Great work!
A few comments.

* I'd like to see icons instead of text for "bike, traffic, transit".

Sure. I think I only left it as labels now because it was quicker.
I think someone has a patch in progress that actually uses the icons for the buttons already.

* I'd love to be able to type directions into the search box (I'm unsure
how the routing sidebar will work), like "New York City, NY to Boston, MA"

Me too.
Is there any best-practice syntax for this?

* For the marker popover button for routing, I'd like an option to have
"route from here" and "route to here"

I considered that, but in order to not overload the bubble, I want to make it easy to change directions in the sidebar, with defaulting to From My current Location to The Address I Seached For. That reminds me that I need to make sure that the routing sidebar mockups are up to date. These are the ones from a while ago and I would consider them outdated: https://raw.github.com/gnome-design-team/gnome-mockups/master/maps/routing-hires.png
I'll update them ASAP.

* One of the things I hate about google maps is that there's no way to
favorite/ save / access old directions.

I'll think about this and see if I can come up with a good design for this.

* Having some way to show transit schedule tables would be sweet too.

I wouldn't do the regular time tables, as the public transport websites are usually a lot better at that, but being able to use Public Transportation as part of your route should be possible (but still needs a lot work from the sources of that info).

- Andreas