Re: [libxml++] patch to allow building without glibmm

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 10:32:28AM -0400, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> It doesn't matter for the xml processing, but only on the application
> level, once you start to actually *interpret* the data.
> Thus, these two APIs (i.e. string vs. xml) are orthogonal, which is exactly
> why this topic comes up again and again.

I stopped all debate about this back when switching from libxml1 to libxml2
starting that all API ofthe library would only take UTF-8 string for
anything related to document content. Some people dislike having to do
the conversion themselve but at least the API is totally unambiguous.
To me anything which will depend on some user setting (locale or whatever)
is near impossible to support.

    gchar
    typedef char   gchar;
    Corresponds to the standard C char type.

to me is a fundamental error because it is assumed to be in the user locale.
Hence the xmlChar * type used in libxml2 API, which is UTF-8, hence platform
and environment neutral.

Daniel