Re: Re[2]: [libxml++] patch to allow building without glibmm

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 15:07 +0200, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:39:02 +0200 Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
>
> MC> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 02:47 +0200, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> MC> > Also, I wanted to have a clean way to build libxml++ without glibmm
> MC> > and so I've created the attached patch to do it.
> MC>
> MC> Sounds OK, though I don't think many people will really need it.
>
>  One point doesn't make a convincing statistics, but I'm currently
> participating in work on several different projects each of which had
> initially chosen to use xmlwrapp instead of libxml++ just because of this
> dependency. I'd like to use libxml++ instead but there is just no way I'm
> going to make my project depend on GTK+ just because of this (especially as
> there is no real need to use Glib::ustring here apparently).

Neither glibmm or libxml++ depend on GTK+.

> MC> >  The patch is rather short so you can probably read it quicker than I can
> MC> > explain it, but nevertheless here is the summary:
> MC> >
> MC> > 1. add --without-ustring configure option (off by default), when it is used
> MC> >    the (new) stub file libxml++/glibmm/ustring.h is used instead of the real
> MC> >    one
> MC>
> MC> I'd prefer not to include a different filename. I wouldn't want some
> MC> people to think that the dummy implementation there is actually the real
> MC> ustring.
>
>  Ok, but then I'd have to change all the files containing #include <glibmm/
> ustring.h>.

Yes, but that's not much.

> And if I do this, I'd rather add libxml++/xmlstring.h header
> and define xmlpp::String typedef (as either Glib::ustring or std::string)
> and use it everywhere.

I'd prefer not to break the API even for this patched version.

>  I think this would be better but I didn't do it like
> this initially because I wanted to keep my changes minimal. If you can
> agree to the above plan, I'd gladly do it like this instead, just please
> let me know.
>
> MC> > I sincerely hope this patch can be applied as it makes building the
> MC> > library on non-Linux systems (even other Unices such as Darwin or HP-UX,
> MC> > IRIX, ... are problematic without speaking about building glibmm and all
> MC> > its dependencies under Windows)
> MC>
> MC> There is an installer for Windows (I think it even includes libxml++
> MC> now).
>
>  You can install GTK+ under Windows, yes. Why would you want to do this is
> another matter.

See above. GTK+ has nothing to do with libxml++.

> MC> And glibmm (and gtkmm) build on almost all Unixes, even with the
> MC> proprietary compilers. TheWrittenWord.com provide binary packages.
>
>  This is a useful link but at least for free software projects it's hardly
> appropriate to ask the users to spend $200 on pre-dependencies of the
> program...

Yet it's proof that it's very possible and it's all open source. I did
the work to make it possible.

> MC> Could you put the patch in bugzilla, please?
>
>  Sure, I just didn't do it initially because I thought there might be some
> discussion resulting in changes to the patch. So I'll wait to hear what you
> think about the proposal above (xmlpp::String) and then submit the
> (possibly updated) patch to bugzilla.

Thanks.

Murray