Re[2]: [libxml++] patch to allow building without glibmm

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:39:02 +0200 Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

MC> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 02:47 +0200, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
MC> > Also, I wanted to have a clean way to build libxml++ without glibmm
MC> > and so I've created the attached patch to do it.
MC>
MC> Sounds OK, though I don't think many people will really need it.

 One point doesn't make a convincing statistics, but I'm currently
participating in work on several different projects each of which had
initially chosen to use xmlwrapp instead of libxml++ just because of this
dependency. I'd like to use libxml++ instead but there is just no way I'm
going to make my project depend on GTK+ just because of this (especially as
there is no real need to use Glib::ustring here apparently).

MC> >  The patch is rather short so you can probably read it quicker than I can
MC> > explain it, but nevertheless here is the summary:
MC> >
MC> > 1. add --without-ustring configure option (off by default), when it is used
MC> >    the (new) stub file libxml++/glibmm/ustring.h is used instead of the real
MC> >    one
MC>
MC> I'd prefer not to include a different filename. I wouldn't want some
MC> people to think that the dummy implementation there is actually the real
MC> ustring.

 Ok, but then I'd have to change all the files containing #include <glibmm/
ustring.h>. And if I do this, I'd rather add libxml++/xmlstring.h header
and define xmlpp::String typedef (as either Glib::ustring or std::string)
and use it everywhere. I think this would be better but I didn't do it like
this initially because I wanted to keep my changes minimal. If you can
agree to the above plan, I'd gladly do it like this instead, just please
let me know.

MC> > I sincerely hope this patch can be applied as it makes building the
MC> > library on non-Linux systems (even other Unices such as Darwin or HP-UX,
MC> > IRIX, ... are problematic without speaking about building glibmm and all
MC> > its dependencies under Windows)
MC>
MC> There is an installer for Windows (I think it even includes libxml++
MC> now).

 You can install GTK+ under Windows, yes. Why would you want to do this is
another matter.

MC> And glibmm (and gtkmm) build on almost all Unixes, even with the
MC> proprietary compilers. TheWrittenWord.com provide binary packages.

 This is a useful link but at least for free software projects it's hardly
appropriate to ask the users to spend $200 on pre-dependencies of the
program...

MC> Could you put the patch in bugzilla, please?

 Sure, I just didn't do it initially because I thought there might be some
discussion resulting in changes to the patch. So I'll wait to hear what you
think about the proposal above (xmlpp::String) and then submit the
(possibly updated) patch to bugzilla.

 Thanks again,
VZ