Re: [sigc] C++0x lambdas

On 09/01/2012 00:13, Rui Maciel wrote:
> On 01/08/2012 03:30 PM, Murray Cumming wrote:
>> And I guess that it's  onsidered acceptable to use -std=c++0x with a
>> library that was not compiled with that option? Then, yes, that does
>> mean that a configure check won't be enough.
>>
>> Maybe we can just put this in a separate header that people must
>> explicitly include if they need it?
>>
>> However, it would still need a configure check, just so we can have a
>> test for it when appropriate.
>
> Here is a mad idea: what about creating a v3.0 branch, with the purpose of
> providing a libsigc++ version which extensively relied on C++11 features?
>
> Among the advantages, this would prevent any software package which currently
> relies on the v2 branch from breaking.
>
> It would also be simpler to add support for C++11 in libsigc++, both in terms of
> backward compatibility and convoluted configure/compiler checks.  After all, a
> programmer would only use the v3.0 branch if he intentionally required C++11
> features, which he would be forced to check prior to using libsigc++.
>
> Then, if a particular compiler failed to support libsigc++ v3 then either the
> onus to fix any problem would be on the compiler developer or the developer
> would be compelled to upgrade/switch to a compiler which actually supported C++11.

Given the lack of guaranteed ABI compatibility between C++98 and C++11, I think
this would be a great idea, actually. And it would reduce the code base and
perhaps compilation time significantly, considering that most (if not all) of
the type_trait stuff is now implemented in libstdc++.

It would be good to do something like that for gtkmm as well.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin