Re: [sigc] GTK+ and C++ member function for callback function?

Thank you Brett I already subscribed to gtkmm mailing list and I am half way done with my software using gtkmm + gstreamermm.

I would say that gtkmm is very "C++-ish" which, as you said, helps me more in understanding the C++ ways of doing things. But I found that my decent foundation in GTK+ is still necessary in understanding gtkmm, since it is only a matter of switching syntax and functional to OOP.

I think that after getting a long well with gtkmm and gstreamermm I will write a small tutorial on my blog for gtkmm. I found the gtkmm main tutorial is a little terse and does not explain very deeply the concept of adjustment, scale, etc...

As many people have pointed out on many other forums the main tutorial is still lack of the clearance that the book "Foundations of GTK+ Development" and main GTK+ tutorial have. I feel like the main gtkmm tutorial just throws huge bunch of codes in and lets the users figure out him/herself, without really understanding the underlying concept, like inheritance hierarchy, glibmm, etc... Some examples they gave are too complicated that (as far as I remember) a GTK+ newbie like me last year was unable to grab. "What is spinbox? what is adjustment? Why do we need to pack adjustment into the spinbox?". The main gtkmm tutorial explains all of these concepts in less than 2 paragraphs, then throws a 4-5 pages of codes to the readers, which made me feel like they just copied all of them from the reference document.

It is not the fluency of C++ that affected my understanding of gtkmm but the tutorial that makes me confused about the core concept of creating GTK GUI. But now after digging in GTK+ I feel that everything in gtkmm is clear, just a matter of switching from functional to OOP. I think after finishing this project I will be ready to make a small tutorial.

Thank you for your sharings! Have a good day!

Best regards,
Phong Cao

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Brett Viren <bv bnl gov> wrote:
Phong Cao <phngcv gmail com> writes:

> BTW, do you guys have any wrapper for GtkMozEmbed? Is there anything that I can
> use instead of it? I just want to embed a browser window into my application
> and I don't know how to embed GtkMozEmbed into Gtkmm app?

I suggest subscribing to the gtkmm mailing list for such questions.

Regarding your original questions, maybe my experience is useful.  When
I was a fledgling C++ programmer I wrote a gtkmm based GUI.  Besides
finding it accessible for a new C++ (but old C) programmer, it helped
teach me a lot of the "C++ way" of doing things.  It was such a strong
influence that when I was later forced to use an inferior GUI for a
project I partially grafted sigc++ on to it to replace its string based
signal/slot mechanism.  It was an improvement but it took a lot of work
and in the end was still not as satisfying as gtkmm.

Luck,
-Brett.