Re: GIR-based vala bindings

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 01:17, Lorenzo Masini <lorenxo86 gmail com> wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 06/04/2011 alle 22.20 +0200, Jiří Techet ha scritto:
>> Hmm, strange, I've tried with the same switches with Ubuntu Natty
>> (which has switched to Vala 0.12 about two days ago) and it works
>> fine. Isn't there something broken in your Vala installation?
>
> Uhm, I don't know.
> I'm on archlinux, vala is compiled from the official tarball, without
> patches and with nothing but the --prefix=/usr and --enable-vapigen
> switches activated.
> Fortunately, the packager of vala and libchamplain (on the
> gnome-unstable repo) is the same.
> I asked him to compile libchamplain with the --enable-vala switch and
> the resulting vapi weren't good.
> So I tried to compile it by myself, and they weren't good as well.
> With the 0.10.1 things will be fixed, as you said in the other message,
> so I'll inform the packager to remove the switch.
> I know, he will hate me :D

I've just compiled vala by myself, installed under /usr/local and
everything works fine.

What does it mean that the vapi's weren't good? How did they look like
(e.g. when diffed against those distributed with libchamplain)? Was
something missing inside? Did you get any errors or warnings during
their generation?

I don't plan to make a release just with this single change - I don't
find it that critical (vapi generation works fine in my opinion and in
the worst case the package can be created by manually copying the vapi
files from the tarball) so I'll wait for some time for other bugs to
appear and make the release later. It would be better to find out
what's causing that the vapi files aren't generated correctly on your
system.

Cheers,

Jiri