Re: [LaTeXila] [ANNOUNCE] LaTeXila 2.6.0

On Sun, Oct 07, 2012 at 01:50:40PM +0200, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> Le dimanche 07 octobre 2012 à 11:58 +0200, Bernd Prünster a écrit :
> > Hi!
> >
> > Nice work!
> > I just updated the arch linux package and I have one question: How can I
> > disable vala so only the c sources are compiled. This is important,
> > because if vala is installed but the version is too old, configure
> > complains and latexila will not build. I worked around it by exporting
> > ac_cv_path_VALAC="" but that does not look pretty. What's the correct
> > way of doing this?
>
> I confirm this bug. I don't have this problem to create Ubuntu packages
> because LaTeXila is compiled in a build environment but if I want to
> create these packages out of this build environment, I have to modify
> source files or temporally rename this file: /usr/bin/valac.
>
> I hope this patch will fix this bug ;)
> https://github.com/matttbe/latexila/commit/aab9ca2115bc6498fa2bb91a0cf629856232d1ca

It is a good way to fix the bug, indeed. What I don't understand is that
the other GNOME applications written in Vala seem to have the same
issue. So even if Vala is not required to build the tarball, the Vala
compiler must be installed…

It would be nice to enhance the function upstream. What would be nice is
to do a soft check (with a warning if Vala is not found, like you do in
the patch), with a way to know easily if Vala was found or not. I'm sure
other Autotools functions/macros do that (if not, then it should be
inspired by CMake macros ;).

> PS: LaTeXila 2.6.0 is already available on LaTeXila's PPA for Ubuntu
> Quantal users with i386 arch. 64 bits packages will be available in a
> few hours: https://launchpad.net/~latexila/+archive/ppa/+packages

Thanks for the prompt updates!