las-gnome Notes | Meeting on Aug 23rd

Hi All,

Below are the raw notes from our meeting today.

Please let any of the attendees know if you have any questions!

Best,
Nuritzi

== Meeting on Aug 23rd ==
Attendees:
    Nuritzi
    Link
    Adelia
    Rosanna
    Sri

=== Agenda ===
 * Quick sync
 * LAS GNOME next year
 * North American Summit / Hackfests we want to do

LAS GNOME Next Year
 * Timing for 2018: Spring
    * Neil may have a calendar with all the events, ask him about it
    * We think Spring is a good target, but the groups bidding will have some say in the matter and help us pinpoint an exact date

 * Vision for LAS GNOME
   * We want to incubate LAS GNOME with the unerstanding that it will grow beyond GNOME
   * Initially, we may want to have it in North America (for at least 2 years), but eventually we want it to be international as it gets larger
   * We may want to incubate LAS GNOME with the North American Summit and co-host the two
      * We may even want to co-host LAS GNOME and North American Summit with other Linux events
         * This might cause brand dilution, we can still talk at conferences to build recognition for LAS, but it'd be great to have one LAS conference that is a larger more singularly-branded event
      * There's a general consensus that co-hosting is a good idea at least for LAS GNOME and North American Summit
      * How would this work pragmatically? Give talks at a larger conference like SCALE and then have unconference events afterward
      * Branding / Messaging: The GNOME Foundation is having a North American Summit and the content for that will be LAS GNOME. We are hosting LAS at the North American Summit.

 * When should we hold LAS GNOME? Weekdays or weekends?
    * who is our main audience for this conference?
       * free players, non-free players, ecosystem (includes distros), flatpak/flathub developers
       * We can decide the timing of this later: weekends vs weekdays... we should talk about this

 * Keep the ball rolling
   * We should still move forward on: the website, registration software, targeted attenees, sponsors

 * Rebrand North American Summit
    * Maybe call it the North American GNOME Event
    * Name ideas:
    * What is the goal / elevator pitch for this North American gathering

 * Some relevant docs we talked about in the meeting:
     * Website copy updates needed: https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/las-gnome-org-updates

 * LAS GNOME Organizers Hackfest
   * We think it'd be a good idea to get together as a group and plan the 2018 instance
   * A lot of us who are interested in planning it are located in SF
   * Proposed hackfest: Sat Sept 30 - Sun Oct 1
      * We would need a budget for Sri to fly out to SF and stay somewhere for 2 nights
      * We could use the Endless office

=== Next Steps ===
 * Send email to Board about the plan to do a co-hosted event give a deadline of Friday
 * Send to engagement-list and foundation-list on Friday
 * Sri talks to sponsors - week of Aug 28th
   * create shared messaging: https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/las_gnome_2018_messaging - by Sunday

Nuritzi Sanchez  |  +1.650.218.7388 |  Endless