las-gnome Another LAS GNOME Update

Dear Board,

The LAS GNOME organizing team had a meeting today and we wanted to send you a version of our ideas for LAS GNOME 2018 before sending them to the wider community.

We think a lot of this coincides with what you've already begun to discuss, but we wanted to send this to you since it deals with defining a new conference strategy.

We also are thinking of planning a Libre Applicaiton Summit Hackfest in San Francisco in the next few weeks to try to keep pushing forward the plans for LAS 2018. We'll submit a request for funds soon.

Please let us know if you have any important questions or feedback for us before we circulate the ideas below to the wider GNOME community on Friday, August 25th.

Thanks!

Best,
Nuritzi on behalf of the LAS GNOME organizing committee

Proposal for the Libre Application Summit 2018

Step 1: Establish a North American GNOME event
With no formal GNOME-related conference in North America (where a number of GNOME developers reside), it seems prudent to merge the concept of the existing Boston/Montreal Summit and West Coast Summit into a single unitary GNOME event in North America.

Allan proposed the "North American Summit," to the foundation-list last week and we think it's a great idea. However, we would like to propose that the official name of that event have "GNOME" in the title so that we can call it out as a GNOME-centered event.

Step 2: Co-Host LAS and the North American GNOME event in the "early years"
We would like to incubate the Libre Application Summit within the North American event mentioned above for about 2 - 5 years. We believe this will help us get more people to attend and provide enough volunteer manpower and GNOME-related funding to get LAS off its feet.

Also Important: Naming / Renaming the "North American Summit"
Unfortunately, naming the event the "North American GNOME Summit" is a bit problematic since the acronym is "NAGS". :) This less-than-ideal acronym led us to brainstorm other names that may work better, but we soon realized that we wanted to better define the longer-term vision of the North American event before electing a name. We plan on discussing this with the larger Engagement team.

As part of this, we would most likely also start calling LAS GNOME just "LAS" or "Libre Application Summit" to help create that separation between a GNOME-centered event and one that is meant to outgrow us.

Nuritzi Sanchez  |  +1.650.218.7388 |  Endless