Re: las-gnome Bad news update: venue space

Ok, after reading everyone's opinions + talking to Cosimo, here's my recommendation (and reasoning below):

Recommendation: Let's postpone LAS GNOME to Spring of 2018. We should consider having an open bid process for it internationally.

If there's interest in doing a North American Summit, we could do it in November over Veteran's Day (Nov 10 - 12th), and I can talk to Endless to see if we can donate space for it here in SF.

Should we do a vote on this? If so, then here it is:

VOTE: Postpone LAS GNOME this year (your +1 means not having it this year).
Sadly, I'm +1

Best,
Nuritzi

Why postpone LAS GNOME:
  • Venue fell through, the new option is not ideal either in location (a bit isolated) nor timing (weekend).

  • Website update hasn't progressed. Haven't seen any movement on archiving the old website and setting up a new one.

  • Too tight of a timeline to get great attendance.

  • If we actively plan for Spring of 2018, we can approach sponsors at the beginning of their funding cycle.

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Adelia Rahim <adeliarahim gmail com> wrote:
Nuritzi, thanks for your effort especially on the venue. It is quite unfortunate that that happened.

It does sound like SLAC is a little isolated, with the clearance requirements too, so it may deter last-minute walk-ins. Even if they have a few other pros as you listed, I still feel that we would benefit more from postponing the event to next year; we’ll have more time for practically everything — participants’ travel planning/sponsorship from Foundation (if applicable), call for talks, venue options, sponsorships (!).

That said, if we still want to have some sort of event, a hackfest would be more appropriate — informal, casual, basically less logistics to figure out in a very short time frame.