Re: las-gnome Notes | Special Planning Session July 25th

I don’t see why we can’t have him as the headline speaker for the third day…

On 25 Jul 2016, at 12:42 PM, Nuritzi Sanchez <nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for getting together for a special meeting today. It was productive, and we have some clear next steps. Meeting notes are below and I've also added them to our main initiative page: https://etherpad.gnome.org/p/westcoasthackfest2016

I still think that it's a little weird to have Asheesh as a standalone speaker on the schedule page. What should we do with him? Keep him there and then add the other speakers when we approve them on August 1st?

I'm including the local team here so that they're in the loop. Welcome! Local team - if you can sign up for the LAS GNOME mailing list and let us know when you're signed up, that would be fantastic!

Thank you!

Best,
Nuritzi

Meeting on July 25th
Attendees: Sri, Teresa, Nuritzi, Adelia, Alexandre, Cosimo, Zana, Doug.

Here's a summary of our call and next steps:

Registration fees will be waived for all participants to encourage more people to attend. Automatic refunds will be issued to those who have already signed up and paid. However, they will be notified that they can donate the money and potentially receive a tax write-off.

Once we have made the important changes to the website and registration page, we'll do a blast on Wednesday, July 26th to promote the event and let people know about the changes. We will also remind people to submit talks.

The talks committee should meet during the week of August 1st to select talks and announce them the following week. This means we can advertise speakers in mid-August. We didn't talk about this on the call but I think it's important to address and this is my proposal.

Next Steps
(need to complete by Weds, July 26th):

@Sri
  • Work with Patrick and Tom to get rid of the registration fees on the registration page and automatically refund anyone who has already paid. Set up donations like those for GUADEC.
  • Ask Karen about tax-deductible donations, if we can advertise that, start promoting.
  • Send Teresa the existing budget.

@Nuritzi
  • Finalize Sponsorship levels (without t-shirt rewards) and update website with this info. Contact Jeff about updating the PDF he made.

@Alexandre

@Teresa
  • Help refresh the conference budget. Please look into t-shirt costs, especially with multiple logos / colors on back. We also really need to figure out the internet costs asap.

@Meg

@Adelia (sorry, I volunteered you :) If you can't just let us know)
  • Go over the website and see if there are any other changes to the existing copy we need to make.

Schedule

Core Conference: Monday, September 19 - Wednesday, September 21
BoFs and Hackfest space available: Thursday, September 22 & Friday, September 23

Conference Schedule (9 am - 5 pm)

1 kickoff, 5 or 6 talks, 2 headlines

Day 1 - Monday

9:15 am
Doors open, registration begins, light refreshments provided
10 am
Conference kickoff (Sri)
10:30 am
Talk
11:30 am
Headline Speaker
12 pm
Lunch
1:30 pm
Unconference

Day 2 - Tuesday

9 am
Doors open
9:30 am
Talk
10:30 am
Talk
11:15 am
Headline Speaker
12 pm
Lunch
1:30 pm
Unconference

Day 3 - Wednesday

9 am
Doors open
9:30 am
Talk
10:30 am
Talk
11:15 am
TBD (Talk, Headline, Panel, or Booth Day)
12 pm
Lunch
1:30 pm
Unconference